Thursday, December 20, 2012

Rumor Control Update



This evening I will be making a phone call home to all parents to share this same information.  I decided to include the text of it on our social media outlets so that all families can access the information as soon as possible. I spoke to the student body yesterday afternoon and shared that the school administration in conjunction with the Plymouth Police have been working together to investigate rumors that started about tomorrow, December 21st being the end of the world based on the Mayan calendar.  None of these remarks have enough evidence to be substantiated by the school or the police.  Separate from this allegation, as in many schools across the state, we have disciplined students for remarks that have been made and the Plymouth Police have been involved.

As principal, I have spoken with many parents who have called with questions that are very sincere.  I encourage you to call at any time with these types of concerns.  I wish I could say to you that I know all the students we interview tell the truth and that school will always be safe and no problems will ever occur.  Unfortunately, as we all saw all too closely on Friday – I can never say those words. 

I can say that the school has taken every precaution, disciplined any students that have acted inappropriately and we work VERY closely with the Plymouth Police at all times.  In addition, as you heard from the Superintendent of Schools, we have very detailed and thorough emergency action plans.  Tomorrow, there will be an enhanced police presence at Plymouth South High School before school in the parking lots as well as police, in addition to Officer Reimer walking the halls all day long.

This post is not intended to scare students, rather to make sure that we do as much as possible to ensure safety as there has been a great deal of concern shared this week.  As at any time, a parent can choose to keep their child home from school.  School will be in session and all guidelines that go along with that will be followed. 
 
As always, do not hesitate to contact me with any questions that may arise.  Thank you again!
 
Mrs. Fry